Google today officially announced the latest Android 8.0, a.k.a Android Oreo. Yes, it’s Oreo! Google claims that the latest release is smarter, faster, and more powerful than ever.
It’s only the second time in Android’s history when there’s a commercial partnership involved. The last one was Android 4.4 KitKat, teamed up with Nestle. This time around, the company managed to get Mondelez on board.
As usual, the latest update now comes with faster speed and better optimizations. Below are the new features:
- Autofill: With your permission, Autofill remembers your logins to get you into your favorite apps at supersonic speed.
- Picture-in-Picture: Allows you to see two apps at once.
- Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly see what’s new, and easily clear them by swiping away.
- Android Instant Apps: Teleport directly into new apps right from your browser, no installation needed.
- Google Play Protect: Working to keep your device and data safe from misbehaving apps by scanning over 50 billion apps per day, even the ones you haven’t installed yet!
- New Emoji: Share the feels with a fully redesigned emoji set, including over 60 new emoji.
Google states that the update will hit supported Nexus and Pixel devices soon. By the end of the year, devices from Essential, General Mobile, HMD Global Home of Nokia Phones, Huawei, HTC, Kyocera, LG, Motorola, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony will launch or upgrade devices to Android 8.0 Oreo. Not to forget that ASUS also announced that the ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 3 series devices will get the update next year too. You can learn more about Android Oreo here.